Mar 5, 2009

My Little Scare.

This all started Tuesday when I began to have some pain in my chest, and shoulders. I attributed it to the workout I had done in the morning, thinking that I just over did it. Then, Tuesday night I had a really hard time sleeping, I kept waking up because I couldn't breathe very well, each breath was like someone was pushing really hard on my chest. I just couldn't get enough oxygen in.

Then, Wednesday came along, and I just passed through the day with this constant pain again. I went to Activity Days and tried to take control of 18 girls alone because the other leader is in California. The girls were great though, and seemed to have fun even if I wasn't as active with them as usual.

After that, I came home and tried to take care of things here. I was just in so much pain that I couldn't do much. I tried to go to bed around 9:00, but again, laying down was awful. I couldn't get enough air, and the pain peaked out at "child labor". I finally had the courage to tell Russ that I needed him to take me in, because I was afraid it was a heart attack. At 31 years of age I shouldn't have to worry about that!

We called our neighbor and had him keep an eye on our kids, and started the trek to the A.F. Hospital. We got there at about 2:00, and people came out to greet me at the Emergency room door. (That's the most hospitality I got for the rest of my visit) They started an IV line, and took some blood. Then I had a CT scan, followed by an E.K.G. After those were done, the doctor came in and informed me that the scan was inconclusive, I could have a blood clot, or I could have Pleurisy.

If it was Pleurisy, then they give me an antibiotic, and send me on my way, if it's a blood clot, they give me medication to thin my blood, and send me on my way. I figured that it was a win win situation for me. It wasn't a heart attack, so let me go. I didn't realize that a blood clot is just the beginning of heart attacks and strokes. The next step was to have another test, a radiation scan. I passed that one too! No blood clot! Woo Hoo!

So, the nurse comes in at 11:00 this morning, and tells me that I can go home, with some anti-inflammatory medication. Now I just have to wait it out. I am not used to being totally out of breath when I come up the stairs. I am not THAT out of shape. But, even if I take a deep breath it still feels constricted and painful.

Pleurisy, by the way, is just inflamed tissue around the lung sacs. It isn't caused or prevented by anything, so I just got it. It takes weeks to feel better, though I really hope I am better faster. I sort of feel like a wimp though, having to go to the E.R. in the middle of the night was scary and all, and I tried to put if off as long as I could. (To the point that if I waited any longer I wanted to rip my own heart out just to relieve the pressure!) I just feel like I should come out of it with more to show for my excursion. I will just be grateful that it wasn't serious, and that I have a cure.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear you went through that. It was probably really scary at first. I hope you recover from this quickly.

The Crider Clan said...

kendra,

I'm glad you are alright! That is so scary...especially when you feel like it could be something really serious...and you don't want to die in the night! Glad you went to the ER...I am the same way with just waiting until there is no way to wait any longer! Hope you feel better soon!

Ker said...

OMG I am so glad you are ok woman!

Keep Your Sunny Side Up said...

Kendra, I am so thankful that you were not having heart problems. Go to the ER no matter what when something like that happens. You just never know! And, plueresy is VERY painful. I hope you start to feel better soon

wurtz said...

I'm glad you are okay! Take care and I hope you feel better.